Monday, May 26, 2008

Recharging the Batteries


Remembering, mourning, celebrating, and resting up! The things of a Memorial Day weekend...
by Charlie Leck

It feels strange and uncomfortable to go 4 days without posting a blog. For those of you who come here regularly, I apologize. A need for a vacation and some time with family has taken me to Williams Bay, along the shores of Geneva Lake, in Wisconsin. I've had a few days of restfulness, doing virtually nothing whatsoever. This is my first visit to this area and I'm finding it quite beautiful and interesting.

A little visit to the Chocolate Festival near here, a ride out on to the lake in a tour boat, hearing about the history of this place as a summer home for Chicago's wealthy business tycoons at the turn of 19th into the 20th century, and lots of good dining and sleeping is recharging my batteries and getting me ready to launch into the political fight throughout this summer and autumn.

Readers have requested I continue to write more personal, biographic essays and I will be doing that, too. Other readers have asked that I catch them up on my recent reading and recommendations about books. That, too, is coming.

I've finished several books on the Bin Laden family and the creation of the person who is Osama bin Laden. I'll soon be summarizing those for you and fleshing out the personality and general religious freakiness of that strange international terrorist. I'm now reading Jane Smiley's book about 13 ways to look at a novel. Quite good and I'll tell you about it.

Today, Memorial Day, I've spent some hours thinking about my dear, recently departed sister and considering how the pain of her loss keeps coming back to me everytime I think of her. I'm doing a memorial book about her that will be ready by Christmas time. Memorial Day celebrations always get my wife and I thinking about the family and friends we've lost and we chat about them and remember how much they meant to us and how much they contributed to making us what we are.

Look for my return to the blog world on Wednesday, 28th of May. I hope you all had a good Memorial Day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment