Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Common Good Books



Yesterday, I wandered around in Common Good Books – G. Keillor, prop.. I spent a wonderful hour there.
by Charlie Leck

Garrison Keillor’s bookstore, in St. Paul, is a wonderful, terrific place. It’s jammed full of books. The emphasis is on the books and not on interior decorating. The staff is incredibly knowledgeable about books and they are totally helpful in a hands-on sort of way.

I picked up a number of books. Some of them were for a grandchild. Another was for a very nice friend of mine, a well-known, retired architect and former head of the University of Minnesota School of Architecture. I made it into a used book by browsing through it. The following quotation caught my attention.

“You must understand that life is serious, that it is difficult, that you have to persevere, that you must be confident, and that you must always forge ahead.” [Charles-Édouard Jeanneret, Le Corbusier]

If you visit St. Paul, you must spend a little time in this wonderful bookstore. It is on Snelling Avenue, at Grand Avenue, just across from Macalester College. You could visit the bookstore’s website here.

After my nifty time in Mr. Keillor’s store, I drove east along Grand Avenue and stopped for a late lunch at Salut Bar Américain. It’s the first time I’ve eaten there. My, it was wonderful! I strongly recommend it.

What a nice afternoon in St. Paul!



_________________________
Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment