Friday, January 18, 2008

Democrats Must Win Back the White House



I don't mean to sound panicky, but I am!
by Charlie Leck


There are plenty of reasons why the Democrats must take back the White House. I'll list them for you.


The economy!
This is one of the high priority reasons. We are in a terrible fix right now. I can't believe that there are so many people who are shocked about our current recession. One could see it coming for months. Take a look at our national debt. It is at a level that would have seemed unimaginable 7 years ago. The Clinton administration left the nation with the highest, richest surplus in its history. Unemployment is now starting to inch up. So is inflation. The housing market is awful and the mortgage crisis will test our nation to the hilt.

The war can not be blamed for all of this. It's clear that the debt would be astronomical even without the expense of the war. Tax treats for the rich must get some share of the blame, too. Remember what Warren Buffett, one of America's wealthiest persons, said: "My cleaning lady pays a higher rate of tax on her earnings than I do on my dividends and investments." The same was true for a majority of his office staff. "It has been a marvelous, marvelous time for the super-rich. The catch? Nothing trickles down."

Buffet also pointed out, in regard to the Republican fantasy of removing the estate tax: "Leona Helmsley left $12 million to her dog. If there were no estate tax, the dog would have gotten 22 million."


The Supreme Court!
Our constitutional system can't handle more ultra conservative appointments to the supreme bench. Where are Republicans candidates on the court?

McCain: "I'm proud that we have Justice Alito and Roberts on the U.S. Supreme Court." Antonin Scalia is the justice he admires most particularly.

Huckabee: "My own personal favorite here on the court is Scalia."

Giuliani: "I will nominate strict constructionist judges with respect for the rule of law and a proven fidelity to the Constitution – judges in the mold Justices Scalia, Thomas and Alito, and Chief Justice Roberts."

Romney: "I think the justices that President Bush has appointed are exactly spot-on."

Health Care!
Folks the only ones being well taken care of by the current health care system in America are the major health care corporate executives. Here in Minnesota, the CEO of United Health Care got bonuses of over 90 million dollars in two consecutive years. No, that was not a misprint. Bonuses! 90 million dollars! Two consecutive years!

The entire health care delivery system in America must be examined. The industry itself keeps promulgating a myth that we have the best delivery system on earth. The World Health Organization rates us behind 16 other nations. And, for what we pay, that's a crime!

The war and international relations!
I've said enough on this subject over the last several months. You all know where I stand on this. We were dragged into a war with lies. Not fibs! Out-and-out lies! This administration has virtually destroyed the ties we so carefully created over decades and centuries with other nations of the world.

The air we breathe and the water we drink!
We've got to get our environment cleaned up, my friends. All knowing, thinking people are aware of this. Yet, George Bush is not! It's been like whacking him with a sledge-hammer to get him to move an inch on this issue. At the same time, the presidential candidate who originally lost to him has won a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts on behalf of mother earth.

Enough? Vote for the nominee of the Democratic Party! Whoever it is!

Let's close with a little fun – if you've managed to read this far you deserve a laugh! I swiped this from the one email-blogger I read regularly and admire a great deal:


A woman's group concluded that computers should be considered masculine because:

  1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;
  2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;
  3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they are the problem;
  4. And, as soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.

And, truth-to-tell, I also took the following off his blog.

My Living Will
Last night, my wife and I were sitting in the living room
and I said to her: "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on
some machine and fluids from a bottle. If that every happens, just pull the
plug.

She got up, unplugged the TV and threw out my drink.

She's
such a bitch!

Next: Something is pulling me back to Mississippi. You should join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment