Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Bumper Sticker



One finds truth in the strangest places!
by Charlie Leck


I was impatient a few days ago while I was out driving in a nasty snow storm. I needed to get a lot done and it was beginning to snow. I thought about forgetting it all and just heading home. My wife was traveling in England and I was a bachelor and no one would know I hadn't completed my errands. However, the "weather terrorists," as one local radio personality calls them, were frightening all of us about what it might be like the next day – snowed in, trapped within our homes without enough food and water to survive the storm.

I decided to hit the one or two more shops I needed to get to and then head home with a clear conscience.

A car in front of me was having trouble on a small incline. A fellow got out from behind the steering wheel and an attractive young girl slid behind it. He tried giving the car a push up the little hillock. No luck! I got out and gave him a hand. We got the car rolling and then it suddenly took off and the girl was out of her depth. The car was shooting forward and she hit the brake and it slid sideways and down a little bank. It sank hopelessly into the snow and I knew the youngsters had a problem on their hands.

I slid down the bank with the young man, to make sure his girlfriend was okay. She was. We gave one hopeless effort to push the car up the bank. No way! It was solidly lodged in the slushy snow. Just as I was giving up and walking away from the little car, I noticed the bumper sticker.

"God is too big for any one religion!"

Jesus, I liked that. I'm not being profane, Lord. I'm talking to you. How about it, Jesus? I think you'd like it too. It blasts out the truth at us. It says what so many of us need to hear. God really is too big for any one religion. God is too big for a dozen religions! God is too big for us to comprehend. God is too big for our little minds.

My favorite hymn when I was growing up was "How Great Thou Art!" As I looked down at the bumper sticker, I could hear Mahalia Jackson singing the lyrics to the incredible hymn.


O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.


Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

Let me tell you this: God is too big for any one religion!

No comments:

Post a Comment