Saturday, May 29, 2010

Nuclear Plants Now Safe


Like off-shore oil drilling rigs, nuclear power plants are now safe!
by Charlie Leck

Call me a conservative, if you’d like, but I don’t like the idea of going ahead with more nuclear power generating plants!

Don’t ask me why I’m afraid! I just am! You see, I have these words of President Obama ringing in my ears: I don’t agree with the notion that we shouldn’t do anything. It turns out, by the way, that oil rigs today generally don’t cause spills. They are technologically very advanced. Even during Katrina, the spills didn’t come from the oil rigs, they came from the refineries onshore" [2 April 2010]

Do you want to see his statement, exactly as he said it? It’s in the video below.

Now, of course, as our nation’s largest oil spill washes ashore in Louisiana, we’re getting assurances about how safe nuclear power plants have become. Well, let me ask you a question. Do you want one a mile down the road from where you live? How about 5 miles?

If your answer to the above questions is “no,” then don’t go promoting one that might be built 5 miles from where I live or from where anyone else lives. It’s call NIMBY, baby! NOT IN MY BACKYARD!

Don’t go promoting nuclear power plants to be built along any of America’s wonderful rivers, or near any of America’s wonderful parks and forest preserves.

Conservation is the answer. That’s what conservatives are all about. It is from conserve that the word conservatism comes. So, let’s all just agree to conserve, and get along!

I say: “No more drilling!”

And don’t forget it was Sarah Palin who began chirping, “Drill, baby, drill!”

And, when dumb-ass Big Bird starts promoting nuclear power plants, put a clamp on his friggin’ beak, will you!

No comments:

Post a Comment