Sunday, January 26, 2014

Nunn will run in Georgia



I admired the openness, candor and moderation of U.S. Senator Sam Nunn. It makes me think his daughter might make an awfully good Senator too.
by Charlie Leck
Lordsy, but I have good memories of Sam Nunn, former U.S. Senator from Georgia. Now I read that his daughter, Michelle Nunn, has announced she’ll run for retiring Republican Saxby Chambliss’s seat in the Senate. Of course, it’s been awhile since Sam Nunn served in the Senate and one wonders how much the legacy factor will matter for Ms. Nunn.
My first observation is that she seems like a bright and charming person – the kind of person I wouldn’t mind having as my U.S. Senator (although I’m far from being a Georgia type person). I have friends in Georgia, however, and I’ll ask them what they think of Ms. Nunn’s chances. I need a good band wagon to climb upon this summer and fall and this just might be the one I’ll take for a ride.
The New York Times reports that Ms. Nunn’s campaign coffers already contain three million smackers. That’s not bad for a starter; however, this will be a seat that Republicans will be loathe to give up and they’ll raise some pretty fancy bucks themselves when push comes to shove. And there will be a lot of that in this Senate campaign – pushing and shoving, that is – no matter who runs.
You can listen to a short NPR news story about Ms. Nunn’s consideration of a possible run for the Senate here. The story stresses the conservative stance all the other candidates in this Georgia race have taken.
Y’all remember Sam Nunn don’t you! Oh, my! He was a bright and well spoken guy who was generally a conservative or moderate Democrat. When Sam Nunn spoke, I would listen because he made sense and he was always open to negotiation and compromise.
Sam Nunn was a real Georgian. He was born in Macon and grew up in nearby Perry. He graduated from Emory University and the Emory University Law School. He served in the U.S. Coast Guard on active duty. He was elected to the Georgia State House in 1965 and to the U.S. Senate in 1972. He left the Senate late in 1996. Following his political career, Nunn served on the boards of a number of charitable organizations and also worked diligently toward safer and more dependable nuclear programs for the U.S. and other nations.
Somewhere in there he married and had a daughter, Michelle. If you’re interested in her race for the Senate, I leave it up to you to read about her. Here’s where you can find the NY Times story. I’m hoping she wins in the primary and gets to run for the U.S. Senate seat. I have a feeling I’ll be a supporter.
Georgia, you know, is not your run-of-the-mill southern state – certainly not in the last decade or so with all the growth of the state and the influx of people from other states to fill Georgia’s growing worker needs. This is not an “automatic” for the conservative Republicans. It’s still close down there, but no longer a certainty for either party.



_________________________

Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment