Friday, January 10, 2014

Getting the Gangsta Thing Wrong in NJ



A great bit by Jon Stewart on his show the other night really captured the foolishness of the bridge closing in New Jersey.
by Charlie Leck

Only in New Jersey (NJ) and yooze better believe it!
Somehow, for some strange reason, last September they closed down all but one lane of the highway that led to the George Washington Bridge. It was to retaliate for something unfavorable the mayor of Fort Lee, NJ did or didn’t do (like not supporting Christie for governor in the hot campaign this autumn). It caused an awful mess and backed traffic up as much as three hours. Did Chris Christie the Governor of NJ order the closing? He says no! If he did, Jon Stewart says it disreputable conduct and the mob could teach the Governor a thing or two about doing such things correctly! Let’s have no more third-rate corruption!

I laughed my head off at this video. You have to watch it. It is absolutely yummy. If you’re from NJ you’ll appreciate it even more.

Stewart says this was a disgraceful show of roughing someone up when it comes to Jersey corruption – “third rate corruption” he calls the Bridge scandal.

Stewart talks about 4 mayors of NJ cities being arrested at one time and charged with corruption in office. Then he shows a video clip of 5 rabbis being arrested at one time for financial corruption. The Governor’s actions were a disgrace to real NJ corruption. He is nothing but an amateur.

Watch the video below or go to the Comedy Central site to Find it here!


The New York Times says in an editorial this morning: “At this point, the governor has zero credibility.” I think I agree. I watched most of his press conference yesterday and his usual smoothness was not there. He was struggling to make his case – that he knew “nothing” about this vindictive action that his staff took.

By the way, wait until you see the January 20 cover of The New Yorker. It's terrific!

New Jersey and the mob!
NJ has always been the butt of jokes when it comes to the mob. And, I must admit, there were times as a child when I had to wonder about my state and some of the goings-on that were reported in the newspaper. Follows some of the past blogs I've written about NJ and, occasionally, about some of its leading citizens.

_______________________
Past Blogs about New Jersey
Some of my readers out in NJ wanted me to list past blogs I’ve written about the state (are they preparing to file suit against me?) so I have done so below…
Over the last four years, among the two-thousand blogs I’ve written, there are a number of them about NJ -- some flattering and some not so much… If you are interested in browsing through them, they are listed below – ok?
Ooooh, New Jersey (July, 2009)
Sweet Home New Jersey (July, 2009)
Gentleman Jack (February 2009)
Follow the Money (December, 2011)

Blogs about my NJ childhood!
Then there are also a number of blogs I wrote about my childhood memories in Jersey (these are not so much about NJ as about growing up in NJ). These blogs are about my childhood, my family, my friends and about all sorts of things odd and true... The following blogs are also being published in book format very soon.
First Love (August, 2007)
Becoming a Ball Player (August, 2007)
Great Love of My Life (June, 2008)
Cute and Not So Cute (August, 2008)
Do I Remember? (August, 2008)
Most Likely to Succeed (November, 2008)
Ad Astra (December, 2008)
Toby and I (June, 2009)
51 Years Ago (June, 2009)
Dining on Memories (July, 2009)
A Quiet Birthday Morning (September, 2009)
Notes from the Road (November, 2009)
1946 World Series (June, 2011)
Baseball Books (March, 2012))
The Art of Fielding (May, 2012)
Going Home Again (July, 2013)



_________________________

Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment