Thursday, August 5, 2010

DON’T SHOP AT TARGET



I don’t often put my titles in caps; however, I do when I’m angry as hell!
by Charlie Leck

Let’s be very clear here. Lots of you want to know exactly why I’m boycotting Target Stores. The answer is simple. I’ve spent plenty of money there. They made a political donation to a candidate who I think is a bum and a jerk and he would be a disaster if elected. I see it as my money that Target is giving to that campaign. I don’t want my money, spent at Target, being given to political candidates. Don’t give money to any candidates! Get it? I said ANY candidates. My father was in the retail business and he taught me that lesson early in my life.

Target, it is simple as that. Why don’t you get it?

If you agree, this message came in from MoveOn.Org. It directs you to a place where you can sign a petition and announce your intention to boycott Target. Do it!
The Minneapolis-based retailer Target just gave over $150,000 to buy ads supporting state Rep. Tom Emmer, a far-right Republican candidate for governor. This makes Target one of the very first companies to take advantage of the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision allowing unlimited corporate cash in elections. Target must think customers won't care. They're wrong: We do care, and we need to let them know that we want Target -- and all corporations -- out of our elections. Can you join me in sending a message to Target's CEO at the link below?http://pol.moveon.org/state/target/?r_by=-4150353-l0Lcqsx&rc=paste
Target must be starting to squirm. I hope CEO Gregg Steinhafel is! He’s opening a store in Harlem on Saturday. There will be plenty of protestors there. Soon he’ll open a couple of stores in the very progressive city of San Francisco. That will draw attention too.

If you want to make an important statement, boycott Target. Thanks!

___________________________

You can email Charles Leck
or you can sign-in to post a comment on the blog
or you can click on “follow” in the top right hand corner

1 comment:

  1. Shortly after posting this, I saw the Target CEO's statement apologizing to employees. The apology announces a future gathering of companies and organizations to focus on "diversity and inclusion in the work place." Believe me, this no-speak statement, designed to draw attention away from Target's political donation, came straight out of the office of Government Affairs Director, Nate Garvis. It was likely Garvis who blew this whole issue into a Target disaster by first proposing the gift. Target's apology is going to have to extend far beyond its employees. Again I remind you that it was my money Target was giving to the idiot, Tom Emmer. Nate Garvis has been a failure at Target and I'm glad he's being replaced.

    ReplyDelete