Tuesday, May 13, 2008

She Shouldn’t Have Said It



On a scale of 1 to 10 what would you call this comment
in terms of its racist nature?
by Charlie Leck

I slept unsteadily last night after reading what she said. In my mind, Hillary is done – toast – burned solid! She made a comment to USA Today that smacks of the kind of racism that we can't handle anymore in America. She told her interviewer that she was the candidate of the "hard working Americans, white Americans," and that Barack Obama just can't cut it with that crowd.

I hang my head in shame. This comes from someone who wants to be President of the U.S.A.?

Charlie Rangels, one of Hillary Clinton's biggest and most important supporters, reacted with distaste: "I can't believe Senator Clinton would say anything that dumb."

I think Rangels was charitable. My goodness, what was Hillary thinking? She just disqualified herself from the nomination. Even John McCain would not have said anything so utterly stupid.

The West Virginia vote is today. Hillary has polarized the voters there. She has allowed racism to be a dividing factor, instead of appealing to the hopeful and positive side of the residents of that state. In interviews with voters you can hear Hillary's voice in their comments. Several have come out and said it plainly: "I won't vote for him because he is black."

Shame on you, Mrs. Clinton!

Hillary will win big in WVA, but it is to no avail.

I could go on and on, but it makes no sense to do so. I'm out of here.

[Addition/Revision] A reader just alerted me to Bob Herbert's column (NY Times) about this incident. You may want to read it. He called the comment "a grotesque insult to African Americans."

No comments:

Post a Comment