Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It's Complicated


I'm too old to be star-struck; nevertheless, I pretty much am!
by Charlie Leck

My dear love and I went to see Meryl Streep in another movie a few nights ago. This time it was a nutty, cute comedy called It's Complicated. It doesn't seem that long ago that we saw Streep in her stunning performance as Julia Child.

Geez! I adore Meryl Streep. What is it about her that I like so much? I guess it's that she is so all grown up. There's nothing childish or insignificant about her. She has a glorious smile and a rich, deep laugh. Her entire face smiles when she does. Her eyes, her cheeks, her brow and her mouth concert together to produce the most beautiful smile in the world.

Yup! I'm nuts about her. My dear wife is crazy about Streep's acting, too. We get out rather quickly to all her movies. We've loved her in really serious roles (Sophia's Choice) to the rather light movies (The Devil Wears Prada). I like her when she's nothing like Meryl Streep (Julia and Julie) and I like her when she's very much like Meryl Streep (It's Complicated).

A couple of weeks ago, someone in the NY Times wrote that Streep was "60 and never sexier." By golly, I agree. What a gas to look at a woman of that age and to find her "spiritually" appealing (if you know what I mean).

My wife is five years older than Streep. I'm a lucky guy because my life's companion takes care of herself so completely. She does the nearly every day work out routine. She eats cautiously and wisely. She feeds her brain and she keeps informed about the world and its people. She's a fantastic mother and grandmother and she's as loyal a friend as one could have. As well, she's generous and kind. And, like Streep, she is "spiritually" appealing.

Both of us would tell you to go see It's Complicated, just for the laughs and the fun of it! In a setting in the same theater we could have watched mayhem and flowing blood; or we could have chosen rockets and flying machines; or even a cute little puppy that's always getting in trouble. Thankfully, we chose Meryl Streep and she gave us another evening of laughter and delight and made us feel like we're lucky to be alive and to have each other.

The illustration above is a recent one of Meryl Streep. I posed her next to my wife -- in a drawing I did from a photo of about 5 years ago (in order to make them about the same age). I'm a pretty lucky guy and I know it.

Right off the top of my mind, in addition to the ones I've mentioned above, here are some of the Streep appearances I really found appealing.
Mamma Mia! (2008)
A Prairie Home Companion (2006)
The Manchurian Candidate (2004)
One True Thing (1998)
The Bridges of Madison County (1995)
A Cry in the Dark (1988)
Ironweed (1987)
Kramer vs. Kramer (1997)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
The French Lieutenant's Woman (1981)
Streep has appeared in over 50 movies, so she's a real vet. She is also one of the finest actors of our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment