Thursday, February 2, 2012

What Does the Lord Require of You?


I am struggling with my conscience lately. I argue with it that I have done enough over the years and now I am tired and retired from the battles for justice; but my conscience stares me down, mocks me and decries my excuses!
by Charlie Leck

I’m moving through troubling days. This community I live in is very conservative. For instance, President Obama got very few votes here in the 2008 election. It went by about 75 percent for his opponent.

Now, this state I live in is going to face an incredibly significant decision in the election this November. In that election, my little town will again, I am sure, reject President Obama. However, it will also need to vote on the marriage amendment to our Minnesota State Constitution – an amendment that will define marriage as between only a man and a woman.

I stand on the other side of this issue and oppose the amendment with all my heart. As my wife said to me today, as we were pouring our morning coffee: “This amendment will actually legislate and give protection to discrimination! This has never happened before, has it?”

Well, actually yes, it has. The U.S. Constitution did not allow women to vote until it was amended. That amendment was an injustice corrected.

But, now, in our age, to think that we might very well create a clear and terrible, constitutionally endorsed policy of discrimination against those who cannot possibly define their lives and their sexually as many others of us do.

I am really and deeply troubled and saddened by this possibility. It shouldn’t be! It shouldn’t happen! Here in the quiet of my study I interrogate myself.

“Do you have any energy left in this old system of yours, sir? Are you both willing and able to wage a battle against such injustice and unfairness? There are people you care about, old fella, who will be hurt deeply by this proposed constitutional amendment! What can you do?”
 “Contributing money, you know, is too easy! Are you courageous enough to talk to neighbors and people in the community about your feelings? Can you handle the cruel things they might say about you? It is time you know, to decide – to act!”

And, God seems to interrogate me also!

“And what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and to keep the commandments and statutes of the Lord, which I command you this day for your good?” [Deuteronomy 10:12]
 “He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, and to love kindness and to walk humbly with your God?” [Micah 6:8]

The God of Creation could not have put these children upon the earth, as he did, to be unhappy and unfulfilled and unable to take partners in commitments of love. Don’t all knowing, and caring, and thinking people realize this?

So, trembling and in the presence of my Creator, I filled out the volunteer form for Minnesotans United for All Families and sent it in. What can I do but “do justice and love kindness and walk humbly with my God?

You, too, wherever you live, if this proposed amendment to Minnesota’s constitution troubles you, can contribute to the cause at Minnesotans United for All Families! You can give funds or you can volunteer. Think! “What does the Lord require of you, but to do justice and to love kindness?…”

_________________________
Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment