Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Happy New Year Greeting


(a castle sketch by David Williamson)

A Happy New Year Greeting from Van Peebles land!
by Charlie Leck

I’m a very regular reader of a blog called VanPeebles Land by David Williamson. His New Years Day blog was a treat; because it also takes us through a litany of the extraordinary anniversaries we will celebrate in 2009.

I strongly urge you to read this blog for the New Year. You’ll enjoy it immensely. I certainly did.

Van Peebles Land calls itself “the sporadic postings of an Irishman in Wales.” Mr. Williamson is a very wise, artful, energetic and sensitive young man, as well as an Irishman in Wales.

A few years ago, Williamson wrote about some of the responsibilities of the Christian. One of the things he wrote caused me more than a touch of anxiety and stirred my conscience, but I haven’t done much about it. Nevertheless, I wrote it down and posted it in a spot on my desk where I see it regularly. Perhaps, if your call yourself a Christian, it will stir you, too.
“I cannot quite see how a Christian… can say meeting with fellow Christians for prayer and praise and celebration of communion is optional.” [David Williamson, 24 January 2006]

No comments:

Post a Comment