Monday, March 8, 2010

I'm Easy



Am I being baited?
by Charlie Leck

I’m a sucker. It’s easy to draw me back into places I said I wouldn’t go. Forgive this little frivoling, but I’ve got to dance just this one slow one.

A fellow wrote to me recently. He reads this blog regularly. He’s “beginning to understand” my political views, he says, though I “have a long way to go to convince [him] that the Democrats in Congress and the White House have our best interests in mind.”

I could only reply, “…compare them (these Democrats you are thinking of) to sons-o-bitches like Karl Rove, Dick Cheney, John Ashcroft and Donald Rumsfeld. People don’t understand how Rove revolutionized politics in America. They wonder from where came this strong, stinging, non-partisan approach – from where came the “swift boat” tactics – from where came the idea of filibustering any piece of legislation that did not have its now mandatory 60 percent majority! Take a bow Karl Rove. He changed the face of politics. He moved a grand and important old political party into the gutter.

Under Karl Rove the Republicans made a conscious decision about their political strategy. It was to play dirty and kick your opponents when you had them down. The strategy was sculpted when the Republicans held all the power. They were so enamored with this strategy that they carried it over as a minority tactic as well.

However, I’m not going there. You can’t drag me into such a discussion.

Yet… just for a moment… take Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Billy O’Reilly, Lou Dobbs. William Fisher, writing last year for The Public Record (pubrecord.org), called them THE FIVE HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE. Maybe we should add Michel Bachman, Minnesota Congresswoman, to the list and call them “The Five Horsemen and the Jackass of the Apocalypse.”

Those who say they can NOT, in this day, see a difference in fairness between Republicans and Democrats are blinded by their past loyalties to those distinguished and admirable leaders of the Grand Old Party (minus Richard Nixon and his band of crooks, of course).

2 comments:

  1. Reads like you fell off the wagon. Never quite looked at Rove as you depicted him, but Im convinced. Satan incarnate!
    Keep it up
    Tony ( Museful is gone)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to stay in the fray, but it's hard to look away, too. Believe me, I know. I only just found your blog as you were getting ready to hang up the politics. I understand. For months I didn't post on my blog at all or read my usual favorites. Toning down the passion in the interest of self-preservation doesn't mean we can't have an opinion. And express it. I enjoy the way you express yours very much.

    ReplyDelete