Saturday, February 26, 2011

Return to the days of Yesteryear


Mitch Daniels gives the Republican Party a chance to return to its grand old, respectable roots!
by Charlie Leck

By now, those of you who are my regular readers know that I don’t often go around recommending conservative columnist David Brooks to you. A few days ago, however, I did (A Solid, Sensible Republican). And, now here I am suggesting again that you read one of his columns – and, it’s on the very same subject. In his 14 February 2011 column, Brooks gives us a more complete and tantalizing introduction to Governor Mitch Daniels of Indiana.

Run Mitch, Run!
It sounds like the Indiana Governor would be a compelling and strong candidate for the Presidency of the United States. Brooks is pushing it because he’d like to see a real and sensible conservative in the office – and he’d like to see and listen to the solid and interesting debates that an Obama/Daniels race could produce.

“The historic moment calls for someone who can restrain debt while still helping government efficiently perform its duties. Daniels has spent his whole career preparing for this kind of moment, and still he’s thinking about not running.”

And Daniels believes that the system in the country needs to give people at the lower end of the economic ladder the opportunities to climb higher and succeed more regularly.

Now I’m not saying I would vote for him; the earth would likely tremble should I not vote for a Democrat. I sure would like to be given the opportunity to consider it though.

Wouldn’t it be exciting to see a respectful, honest and distinguished campaign between two thoroughly qualified candidates for the office of President?

It’s something I can barely imagine!

[If you want an introduction to Mitch Daniels, this NY Times report might be interesting to you!]

_________________________

Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment