Sunday, June 10, 2012

Watergate after 40 Years



June 17, 1972 – forty years ago – was an incredible and historic day in the United States and a bunch of criminals and political crackpots were responsible!
by Charlie Leck

“The good of man must be the end of politics!” [Aristotle]

You know, I read something somewhere that contended the nation’s production rate was seriously and negatively impacted by the Watergate Hearings of 1973 and 1974. Why? Because the nation was gripped by those hearings and couldn’t pull itself away from them – lawyers, doctors, teachers, researchers and government employees. We were hooked on Watergate.

I know I was. I was working for a Washington, D.C. company at the time and I can honestly admit that I wasn’t very productive for them on those days when Sam Ervin’s committee was in session and on TV.

It all led to the eventual resignation of the President of the United States – the only time such a thing has happened in our nation’s history.

Now, forty years later, the two reporters who broke so many big stories surrounding the Watergate investigation are looking back at it all and saying it was worse than we thought back then.

If you were a Watergate junkie, be sure to read this extraordinary account in the Washington Post by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward: “Nixon was far worse than we thought!

Wow! This article is loaded with good and deeply interesting stuff!

__________________________________

I’m going back to Mississippi again this year, to recognize the 48th anniversary of the murders of the three civil rights workers, James Cheney, Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner – and to call for justice in the cases of dozens of Mississippi and Arkansas martyrs whose murderers have never been brought to trial. I’ve been asked to speak a couple of times during the gatherings. I’ve been working on those presentations. If you have suggestions, please don’t hesitate to email them to me [my email address].


_________________________
Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment