Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Down a Dark Alley



If you had to go down it, which of these candidates
would you prefer to have with you in this dark alley?

by Charlie Leck

See a second blog following this one about Crostini Grille, in Monticello, Minnesota!

Well, Jesse Ventura surprised all of Minnesota last night by announcing, live on Larry King, that he will NOT run for the U.S. Senate. Whoopee! I'm relieved.

Jesse, just last week, had established a new standard for picking a U.S. Senator. He asked us to envision a really dark alley and then ask ourselves with which of the candidates would we want to go down that long alley.

How to answer the question? I'm really not sure! And, I ask myself if that is really the essential question or just more of the stupid ramblings of the village idiot.

I took the photograph in the heading of this blog a long time ago. It was somewhere in Europe and, I think, somewhere in Italy. I don't remember and I am not the most precise DAM guy – that's Digital Asset Management. I remember a lovely, little taverna was at the far end of it. I had to darken this photograph and add shadows to get the affect I wanted. Let's say the photograph was taken in Naples (which may be correct) and that il café was delightful and the walk through il vicola was pleasant and charming. Now I have some clarity in mind as I answer the question.

The three candidates from which I have to choose are the incumbent Senator, Norm Coleman; the other major party challenger, former comedian Al Franken, and a recently announced primary challenger to Franken, Priscilla Lord Farris. Farris has some legitimacy and would make a fine Senator. And, I wouldn't mind at all going down that dark alley with her to have a beer at il traverna. No one is going to own this woman. She has a quick mind and is sensible on all the issues. She comes from an outstanding Minnesota family whose life-style has to be admired and whose reputation is beyond reproach. She is a very serious primary candidate. Can she beat Coleman? I don't really know. I don't know if Franken can pull it off either; however, as Jesse Ventura said on the King show last night, how anyone can be trailing Coleman in the polls is rather unbelievable. Well, once in a while, Jesse gets it right and he's right on that one.

The important thing at the moment is that the infamous bozo, Jesse Ventura, is out of the picture. Things keep getting easier all the time.

Our incumbent Senator is a weasel who would spend the entire time talking only about himself and I would get stuck with the check. He's an owned man and his soul belongs to the company store. He was as cozy as one could be with the current occupant of the White House until it became politically disadvantageous to be so chummy with him. Let there be no mistakes, however, and the other two candidates should shout it out, loud and clear: "Norm Coleman is a Bush-Chaney man." They owned him for the last six years. Coleman is very much a chameleon. He can change parties, positions, friends and loyalties faster than one of those little creatures can change colors. Coleman did nothing creative as a legislator and whatever he did was first cleared and approved in the White House. Of the three, he's the most awful choice for me. No, I wouldn't walk down this alley, with that man, to get to this little place of refreshment. He is a piece of turd and is a joke in the U.S. Senate. I know that's strong, but it's the truth. Anyone who would vote for him doesn't care about the truth. He's wretchedly impolite and boorish. If you think Bill Clinton had a questionable, nasty side to his life, you better take a closer look at Norm Coleman.

Now, what if I were to walk down that alley, to that little, delightful spot with Al Franken? Oh, my! It wouldn't be so bad. Al's a whistler. It would be like going past the graveyard, you know. And, he's a generous fellow and would at least make sure we were dutch treat. He might even pick up the check. I've sent some money into his campaign committee and I'll likely send some more if he survives his primary challenge. He'd tell me a few good, clean jokes as we sipped on our beers and he might even get up and do a stand-up routine for the other diners and drinkers.

In Minnesota, Norm Coleman must go. Ms. Farris and Mr. Franken, let's see a very distinguished primary campaign!

END



Crostine Grille in Monticello will feature
Sheepy Hollow racks of lamb on Monday night


Well, this is a very big deal! A lovely, little restaurant, Crostini Grill, in Monticello, Minnesota – straight out I-94, northwest of Minneapolis – does a quarterly wine dinner and closes reservations at 40 people. They always fill up and the evening is well known in the area. All Minnesota menu items are featured. Monday night, 21 July, the dinner will include an entrée of rack of lamb from Sheepy Hollow at Native Oaks Farm. Sorry, no more reservations are available. We couldn't even get in! We are anxious, though, to hear the reviews.

Take a look at the menu:

Minnesota Wild Rice Stuffed Mushrooms
Summer's Ratatouille
Fresh Trout
with Riesling butter sauce
Cranberry & Pecan glazed Rack of Lamb
Rhubarb-Berry Strudel
Give the Crostini Grill a try some time. I'm going to.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment