Thursday, August 28, 2008

Still Away, But Ready to Return


What a good week away!
by Charlie Leck

Fred, I sort of did it! Your suggestion that I get away from ranting and raving for a week was a good one. I’ve smelled a few roses, did some Christmas shopping (honest), found a nice birthday gift for my wife (this coming Monday), took a few long walks and read a couple of books.

But, yesterday I took my daughter's car in for service (Midas). It needed an entirely new exhaust system and it would take a couple of hours. While I was waiting in line to check in, the young man receiving customers chatted with someone about why he’d never vote for Obama – because he would be a big spender like Bill Clinton.

I happened to have the above cartoon tucked into a book I had brought along. The next few moments went like this.

“Can I help you, sir?”

“Why yes,” I said, “you could take a good look at this for me.”

I slid the cartoon in front of him. He looked at it but didn’t get it. I explained.

“Are you better off today than you were 8 years ago?” I asked him.

“F--- no!”

“Of course not! Neither am I. The last time our economy was really sound was under Bill Clinton. He put people to work. The unemployment rate was at its all-time low under Bill Clinton. Small companies thrived under Bill Clinton. Our nation didn’t have a budget deficit. We had a surplus. How’s business?”

“F--- awful!”

‘That’s why you need to vote for Barack Obama. He’ll give tax cuts to guys like you. He’ll have the rich, fat cats pay more of their share! People will get back to work. Our country will go back to work. I have an appointment at 9:30.”

“You’re kiddin’ aren’t’ you?”

“No,” I said, “9:30 to have a new exhaust system put in.”


“No, no! I mean about the economy and the Democrats.”

“The cartoon,” I said, “is entirely correct. Conservatives keep talking about reducing spending, cutting taxes and improving the economy. They never do it. Government grew faster under Ronald Reagan than any other President in history. When he left office he left behind a pot-load of national debt. Government grew faster under George W. Bush than it did under Bill Clinton by 6 times. You’re paying far too much in taxes – in Minnesota, in our county and in your community because George W. Bush reduced aid and assistance to states. George W. Bush has racked up trillions of dollars of debt. Barack Obama will change America and you will get relief.”

“You are kidding, aren’t you?”

“No, no,” I said. “9:30 for a new exhaust system.”

Cartoon was originally published in the Ventura County Star.

No comments:

Post a Comment