Sunday, November 16, 2008

Aiming Low



About choosing Palin, Cavett says, “McCain aimed low and missed!”
by Charlie Leck

I just must have my Dick Cavett read every week [Talk Show by Dick Cavett]. He appeals to my sense of humor. I don’t much appreciate the obvious punch line jokes that lean toward silliness. I like the dry, hidden humor of guys like Will Rogers and Woody Allan and even Colbert. After they pull the trigger on a joke there’s just a slight pause before it goes off in your brain and you suddenly get it. A brother accuses me of not having a sense of humor. It’s probably more correct to say that I have a different kind of appreciation of humor.

This week, Cavett writes about Sarah Palin. He calls her “the wordsmith of Wasilla.” As evidence, he presents us with one of her sentences he found particularly poignant:

“My concern has been the atrocities there in Darfur and the relevance to me with that issue as we spoke about Africa and some of the countries there that were kind of the people succumbing to the dictators and the corruption of some collapsed governments on the continent, the relevance was Alaska’s investment in Darfur with some of our permanent fund dollars.”
“Has she no first language?” Cavett wonders.

Cavett exhibits some deep curiosity about the lady’s loyal followers – the ones who ache for her to run again in 2012 – and wonders how Presidents like Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt and, perhaps, Eisenhower managed to get along so well in office without being soccer moms.
“Without being whizzes in the kitchen, whipping up moose soufflés? Without executing and wounding wolves from the air and without promoting that sad, threadbare hoax — sexual abstinence — as the answer to the sizzling loins of the young?

“(In passing, has anyone observed that hunting animals with high-powered guns could only be defined as sport if both sides were equally armed?)”
What has caused the Palin Swoon? Cavett wonders aloud and invites answers from us.

Damned if I know! Perhaps it’s something in the water. That’s the best I can do, so he’ll get no response from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment