Thursday, August 13, 2009

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH THESE KIDS OF OURS?



Oh, Congresswoman Bachmann, how ashamed you must be of your son for volunteering to help America's kids!
by Charlie Leck
MinnPost: Rep. Bachmann's son joins Teach for America -- a member of AmeriCorps, an organization she berated.

StarTribune (Jon Tevlin): Bachmann's wayward son up and joins AmeriCorps

Huffington Post: Michele Bachmann's Son Joins "Re-Education Camp"

"I believe when it's all said and done, this service that -- I believe that there's a very strong chance that we will see that young people will be put into mandatory service. And the real concern is that there are provisions for what I would call re-education camps for young people, where young people have to go and get trained in a philosophy that the government puts forward and then they have to go and work in some of these politically correct forums. It's very concerning. It appears that there's a philosophical agenda behind all of this, and especially if young people are mandated to go into this...

"As a parent, I would have a very, very difficult time seeing my childen do this."
[Michele Bachman]
Our wildly crazy Minnesota Congresswoman (from the sixth district) must be feeling awful today. Her son has been accepted as a volunteer by Teach for America. Congresswoman Bachman has been saying terrible things for some time about AmeriCorps and Teach for America. She thinks they are part of the cabal of dangerous organizations in America. After all, they pretend to be service organizations, but they are really just in it for the big bucks – sort of like Enron and Halliburton.

Oh now, excuse me! The Congresswoman has no problem with Enron and Halliburton.

These kids, the Congresswoman pointed out, are getting paid good money and one can’t call this volunteer work.

I know how the lady feels. One of my outrageously selfish kids took the big bucks and joined Teach for America, too. Then she went away to live in New York City? Are there any of you out there aware of how much money it takes to live in New York City. Boy, did I get an education! And, I thought a college education was expensive!

A friend of my daughter, from high school, graduated from a fine New England college and also volunteered for Teach for America. She was sent to the Delta in Mississippi, where she was paid the starting salary of school teachers in that region. As you can imagine, she got rich very quickly. Down there in the Delta she was out nightclubbing it all the time, too – you know, living the big life.

And those kids heading for the reservations in South Dakota are in it for the big bucks, too. What a great time they’re going to have out there on the plains – on those beautiful reservations we established for Native Americans.

Congresswoman, they call these areas “under resourced!” That’s where they send these exciting college graduates. They serve in some of the toughest educational situations in America. And these grads go with a commitment to work harder than the average bear! These are among the best of America’s college graduates going off to work with kids. They try to teach these kids how to learn. They’ll rub shoulders with them and try to make them understand how important a college education is and how possible it is for them to go to places like Princeton, Lehigh, Colgate, Carlton and Stanford.

Ten percent of the graduates of Ivy League colleges and universities applied for Teach for America positions this year. Instead of complaining about that, Congresswoman, you should be leaping for joy.

Do you suppose, Congresswoman, they did that so they can get the really big bucks? Some of them took passes on scholarships to law school and business schools. Though you don’t believe our President, Congresswoman, a lot of these kids do. Yes we can! Yes we can!

I’m sorry you can’t share the joy and happiness that your son feels upon his acceptance to an organization as distinguished and wonderful as Teach for America. If you’re not proud of him, let me tell you, I am. I’ll never forget the pride I felt on the day my daughter told me she had been accepted into the Teach for America program. She graduated Magna Cum Laude, Congresswoman, and at the top of her class in her major field. One of her professors was begging her to go on to graduate school in that major field, to get her PhD. He said she’d be a brilliant academic and should be teaching at the college level. The professor talked to me and asked me to reason with her. I was proud of her then, too, but Teach for America was her number one goal and that’s all she wanted to do.

They sent her to Harlem, Congresswoman. They sent her to a school that is underfunded. She started her own little fund raising program among her family and old friends to raise enough money to buy books for her students.

Go ahead, Congresswoman, say it: “These damned selfish kids!”

My kid also conducted a fund raiser to get a projector for her school – one that could be connected to their computers and then used as a teaching device. The school couldn’t afford to buy one, so I and her mother, and her brothers and sisters and many of our friends and her friends contributed money to allow her to purchase such a computer.

“Damned selfish kids!”

I’m sorry you can’t rid yourself of that stiff rod that runs straight up through your body and makes you so rigid. Loosen up a little, Congresswoman. Don’t be such a tight ass! Give that kid a big hug and tell him how proud you are of him.

I’m not angry at you this morning, Congresswoman, as I usually am. I feel sorry for you. I feel sorry that you can’t enjoy this incredibly important moment in your son’s life. What a wonderful son you must have! He wants to help underprivileged children learn. He’s going to work hard. He’s going to teach. He’s going to mentor.

If I was anywhere near him, I’d give him a big hug and pat him on the ass and send him proudly on his way. But, that’s just me, Congresswoman – I’m just a hopelessly lost and confused liberal.

No comments:

Post a Comment