Wednesday, September 16, 2009

IF WE DIDN’T HAVE THE SOUTH



Drop-kick South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas and Oklahoma out of the great union of states and we’d get a fantastic health care plan for Americans.
by Charlie Leck

Joe Wilson, the Congressman from South Carolina who made a fool of himself recently in a joint session of Congress, is only the beginning. He’s one of many good, old boys from the southern states who hate the President and want to make our national leader look like a liar, cheat, crook, communist, Nazi and terrorist all rolled up into one. Representative Wilson once belonged to the Sons of Confederate Veterans. He was also heard to strongly denounce the claim of a black woman that she was the daughter of former Senator Strom Thurmond (her claim turned out to be true). Wilson was also one of the leaders of the movement to keep the confederate flag flying over South Carolina’s state capitol building.

Some of this is just in the blood of the southern states. They live in fear of federalism. And, oh, by the way, there is still some fear of the black man left down there as well. Some of my friends wonder why I don’t want to go south in my retired years! It’s quite simple for me. There’s not much I like about the southern states and the hatred that permeates the air down there makes me nervous. I’d rather be cold than live in a state that would elect the likes of Joe Wilson. Ooops! I forgot that we are the state that elected Michele Bachman to Congress. Oh, well, I am again trapped and exposed as a hypocrite. It’s not the first time.

Nevertheless, were it not for the southern states and their irrational fears, we would more than likely have had a strong health care reform package pass the U.S. Congress this year.

That’s a sad statement of fact because there are plenty of people in need in many of those states I mentioned above. Remember, most of those states are rated among the most economically needy states in the nation. One would think their congressional representatives would want to take better care of their constituents than that.

But, what does a hypocrite like I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment