Monday, September 14, 2009

Strange Stats… Take a Look at Them!

Who favors health care reform with a public option?
by Charlie Leck

The most recent significant poll of Americans shows that 55 percent of the public favors health care reform legislation with a public option.

The same poll shows that only 50 percent of the public favors health care reform without a public option.

With numbers like these, why couldn’t a majority party pass health care reform legislation with a public option? It leaves me dizzy when I think about it. It is a certain sign of a lack of legislative ability in the executive branch.

“No,” friends tell me, “it’s just a sign of the crazy times and the power of the far right to stir up vocal resistance.”

“Well,” I tell my friends, “the battle lines ought to have been drawn and the fight waged. There is no more important issue upon which to do it. Is the President a chicken?”

“No,” my friends reply, “it is not the President, but it is nervous legislators who have to win reelection in 2010 and they’ve been frightened by the town hall meetings where those opposed always are more willing to come out than those in favor.”

At the moment, I am not proud of my party. The Democrats, across the board, have failed the American people and I, personally, will not forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment