Monday, November 16, 2009

Goodbye, Lou Dobbs and good....



Ding! Dong! The somabitch is gone!
by Charlie Leck

On his “show” (notice that I do not say "newscast") last Wednesday evening, Lou Dobbs abruptly resigned and made a statement that included these words:
“…leaders in media, politics and business have been urging me to go beyond the role here at CNN and to engage in constructive problem solving as well as to contribute positively to the great understanding of the issues of our day.”
I've written here a number of times about my distaste for Dobbs. He didn’t belong at CNN and he didn’t fit in. He was too bombastic and he opined with far too much malice and fury. I stopped watching him well over a year ago, but I kept reading about the wave of dislike of him that was flooding the executive offices at CNN. People were bombarding the news network with vows that they were boycotting those companies that sponsored the Lou Dobbs Hour.

I couldn’t be happier. Now I’ll switch on CNN once more at that first hour of the evening around here and, perhaps, hear real news again and not the kind of screeching I normally get over at FOX News and MSNBC.

An old, Hungarian friend of mine, gone now to dwell among the stars, could never quite pronounce my favorite “cuss” word. Instead, it always came out as “some-a-bitch.” This morning, when I heard that Dobbs is gone from CNN, I wanted to sing the well known refrain: “Ding! Dong! The wicked witch is dead.” However, my old pal captured my tongue and it came out much more poetically: “The somabitch is gone!”

Ding! Dong!

Dobbs dramatic fall began when he started to treat the silly notion that President Obama was not born in this country (the birther movement) with a degree of respect and as if it was newsworthy.

For those interested in good coverage of Dobb's resignation here's the NY Times story that appeared on Thursday morning (written by Brian Stelter and Bill Carter). On his blog, Media Decoder, Stelter provided full text of Dobb's announcement of his resignation.

No comments:

Post a Comment