Thursday, June 3, 2010

Oleaginous


This blog has to do with various oleaginous matters!
by Charlie Leck

I subscribe to the “word of the day” from Dictionary.Com, which I consider one of theeeee absolutely most important web sites on the entire Internet……

Today’s word was “oleaginous” and I thought I would share it with you because the timing is so VERY appropriate.

Oleaginous \oh-lee-AJ-uh-nuhs\, adjective

  1. Having the nature or qualities of oil
  2. Containing oil
  3. Producing oil
  4. Unctuous, fawning, smarmy

Oleaginous derives from the Latin oleaginous, “of the olives….”

Clearly it’s a relevant word right now! The news is depressing as hell. Now it appears the Gulf of Mexico oil leak, which is spewing thousands and thousands of gallons of oil into the sea every single day, will continue for months and months (August is the predicted “fix” time!).

Today, on public radio, I heard an incredible conversation about the number of “generations” it will take before the damage done to the gulf shores is eradicated – or as the legal guys say: “Is made whole!”

If this were to happen in Minnesota, I know how people would go crazy – they’d fight and claw and scratch and howl until their demands were heard and answered by the SOBs in Washington. Louisiana seems prepared to be stomped on again. I hope not. I hope they arch their collective backs and fight like cornered, wounded tigers (like LSU Tigers).

BP? Let’s just say they are being terribly oleaginous (slick as hell)!

No comments:

Post a Comment