Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Words from 1 John 4


I am in Boston today (12 July 2011) for a memorial service for Jim Leck, my nephew, and this is what I will read at his service.
by Charlie Leck

The disciples of Jesus – the men who walked the earth with him – must have been stunned and confused after his death. They were anxious to explain their loyalty to this man and how extraordinary he had been. They also wanted to explain what he had been trying to teach them about God and their personal relationship to the Creator.

When I think of Jim, I immediately think of the letters of John in the New Testament and how John defines and describes God. I promise you, it works for Jim and he’d be nodding his head as I read these words.

“Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God, and he who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love / does not know God; for God is love. In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him.

In this is love, not that we loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No man has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.”

“God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him….”

“If any one says, ‘I love God,’ and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from him, that he who loves God should love his brother also.”

_________________________

Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

1 comment:

  1. Having lost a son, I can share your pain and that of your brother.

    ReplyDelete