Monday, March 4, 2013

From the Road

I'm traveling right now, while on a winter vacation. There isn't any time for serious writing, though I hope to post a major blog in the next few days. In the meantime, let me leave you with a piece I read last night that I think deserves your thought.
by Charlie Leck

Here a bit of Rainer Maria Rilke's thinking from early in the twentieth century. I've become quite enamoured with Rilke after beginning to read him at the first of the year. This piece comes from his Letters to a Young Poet (1904). Let's call it Being a Room.

"If we imagine our being as a room of any size, it seems that most of us know only a single corner of that room, a spot by the window, a narrow strip on which we keep walking back and forth. That gives a kind of security. But isn't insecurity with all its dangers so much more human?

"We are not prisoners of that room."
 This particular letter was written from Borgeby gaard, in Sweden. It was recently translated by Joanna Macy and Anita Barrows for their book, A Year with Rilke.

I'll return with something in two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment