Friday, May 10, 2013

Do Unto Others




You may read it in Greek or Latin; or you may find it in the old King James Version of scripture or the most modern translations, such as “the Word on the Street.” Yet, it will in all ways say the same thing. Nevertheless, we earthly souls would do all that we can to avoid its truth.
by Charlie Leck

“Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.” [Matthew 7:12 King James Version}
“In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.’” [Matthew 7:12]

In the antebellum south, the white Christian allowed himself to be convinced that the slave was not really a man and therefore the great commandment did not apply in that case.

Even in contemporary times, around the word, we convince ourselves that there are certain people to whom it doesn’t apply – this universal law of all faiths and civilized society.

On a chilly morning, I walk east, across 57th Street in Manhattan, and see a broken man huddled in an entryway to a small retail shop. He is shivering from the cold and he looks hungry and desperate. His eyes meet mine, pleading, and in his I see the one I would call my Lord. When I turn away and walk on I have shown my back to him who calls me to live a just life; and, I have turned my back on my very self.

A small voice asks me the haunting question: “Do you suppose that might have been Jesus – I mean the man lying there homeless and starving? May it have been?”

“In so much as ye have done it unto one of these, the least of my brethren, you have done it unto me.”

I have an important breakfast to which I must get immediately. So many significant items are on today’s agenda and I am needed there. I cannot turn back. I am a busy man.

_________________________


Same Sex Marriage
On Monday, the Minnesota State Legislature will pass a new law giving those in same sex relationships the right to marry – a man to a man and a woman to a woman. The Governor will sign it immediately into law. The Lord will smile on us. It has taken us a long time to get it right, but we have, Lord. We have.


_________________________
Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment