Monday, September 9, 2013

Introduction to World Literature



I'm bored and disgusted with talk of war. I need to stop worrying about it and writing about it. I became intrigued with the description of an on-line class that I found on openculture.com
An Introduction to World Literature.

David Damrosch is the advisor and coordinator of the course. He’s also the main commentator on the videos that make up the lessons. He teaches at Harvard. You can read more about him here. He is the author of two books I intend to purchase: (1) How to Read World Literature [2008] and (2) What is World Literature [2003].

The video course is a part of the Annenberg Learner series. You can find out more about it at… http://learner.org/courses/worldlit/

Though I’ve just begun, I’m pretty confident that I’ll work my way through the entire course and all 13 of the books that we’re to read…

The Epic of Gilgamesh
My Name is Red
The Odyssey
The Baccae
The Bhagavad Gita
The Tale of Genji
Journey to the West
Popul Vuh
Candide
Things Fall Apart
One Hundred Years of Solitude
The God of Small Things
The Thousand and One Nights

I’ve previously read a few of them. In a couple of cases it was a long, long time ago. I wouldn’t have dreamed that I’d ever return to The Odyssey again; or to Candide for that matter. It will be with great pleasure that I read again One Hundred Years of Solitude and the remarkable Things Fall Apart.

This assures you that, though I’m blogging less frequently in these very troublesome times in politics and statesmanship, I am keeping myself earnestly occupied.

I’m also very busy making notations – and sometimes writing essays – in my Daily Journal.



_________________________
Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment