Friday, April 11, 2008

In Case You Missed It


Sometimes the comments that come in are the best thing about blogging
by Charlie Leck

One of the things I like most about blogging are other bloggers. I enjoy commenting on their blogs, and beginning a dialog with them, and I enjoy it when they leave comments on my blog. One blogger I’ve really gotten to enjoy is David Williamson. His blog is called
Van Peebles Land –the Shambolic Postings of an Irishman in Wales.

On a day when your mind is sharp and ready for it, do go to David’s blog and try it on for size. More than likely, you’ll be making many return visits.

David recently left a comment on
my blog about Bobby Kennedy’s extraordinary speech in Indianapolis on the April night in 1968, during which he announced to those crowded around him that Martin Luther King had been shot and killed. This is what David wrote:

The very idea of a contemporary politician even trying to quote Aeschylus is so extraordinary that it gives us yet another reason to mourn the passing/slaying of men like Bobby K. I think Eugene McCarthy opposed the Vietnam War because of the precedent set by the Greeks' Punic Wars. The amazing thing about classical civilisation is the extent to which it provides counsel against venality and impetuosity in foreign policy that we neglect at our peril. The whole question of NATO enlargement should be discussed against the backdrop of Athens's experiences with the Delian League. There are few roads in this world that someone hasn't already trod, so it doesn't hurt to study their fates."
April 11, 2008 4:25 AM

Doesn’t that make you want to read those Shambolic Postings?

I’ve also been getting a lot of comments from anonymous readers. I’ve decided not to post any anonymous comments because they’re usually very crude and not well thought out. It’s easy to talk tough when one doesn’t leave one’s name. I take comments very seriously and respond to those who have the guts to leave their names.

I saw a cartoon somewhere not too long ago that portrayed two dogs, sitting on their hind-quarters and chatting. One dog was saying, very seriously, to the other (and I need to paraphrase here): “I blogged for a while, but I decided to go back to meaningless, incessant barking!”

END

No comments:

Post a Comment