Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Torture is UnAmerican


I thought there was an America ideal
by Charlie Leck

I don’t often post two-blogs in one day,
but this one takes precedence over the
little piece I wrote about my father.

Our President, George W. Bush, has admitted to ABC News that he personally okayed the use of torture in interrogating high-value al Qaeda suspects. Read the ABC story here.

Does this bother other people the way it bothers me? I always thought our country stood for something special – and treating prisoners of war in a humane manner was part of that ideal. I cannot abide the idea of torturing other human beings.

To know, with certainty, that the President of the United States of America approved such torture, places a heavy burden upon one’s soul.

As Doctor King said, so many years ago: “A time comes when silence is betrayal!”

For me, that time has come and I will write and ask that Congress move to impeach President Bush, Vice President Cheney and the rest of the cabal: Rice, Rumsfeld, Powell and Tenet.

It’s time for Congress to speak up also. Demand that they do. They are either for torture or against it. There is only one Constitutional remedy for members of the Executive Branch who commit war crimes.

Unfortunately, that is impeachment!

Tell your Congressman and Senators.

No comments:

Post a Comment