Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Associate



Grisham is a master story teller, but this one…. Oh, I don’t know!
by Charlie Leck

John Grisham is a master story teller. I got hooked on his work when I first read his second novel, The Firm. Since, he’s written over 20 novels and one work of non-fiction. Should I be embarrassed to say that I’ve read them all? When there are so many important things out there to be read, I probably should be.

I just finished The Associate [Doubleday, 2009]. I can’t give it a high grade even though I was captivated by the story from beginning to end. I just don’t think it had a strong wrap-up and a big-bang climax, as most of his books do. The reader is left hanging a bit and wondering if there is to be a sequel.

Kyle McAvoy and his father, John, are certainly interesting and very realistic characters. Grisham did a good job creating and describing them. I just want to know more about what happens to them and where the road leads them following page 373. I guess it’s my job to finish the story, but I feel cheated that I need to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment