Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Old Pictures

For a dear friend, I’m working through a huge batch of old photographs and doing repair and restoration work on them. Here and there they bring back grand memories.
by Charlie Leck

I’ll be working with old photographs for the next couple of weeks (surrounding a ten day trip to Europe). Flipping through photo after photo requires me to sit too much and I’m stiff and full of aches when I get up from the work. Yet, I’m reliving some wonderful memories and it’s all worth it.

Look at that – a 1985 golf trip that took me around Scotland to play some of the really famous old courses – the Old Course itself, Gullane, Muirfield, Prestwick, Carnoustie, Royal Troon and Turnberry. We also included one modern course in the tour when we played at Gleneagles* and stayed in the magnificent Gleneagles Hotel. Wow! What a wonderful time! Guys being guys! Great cigars! Marvelous scotch! Haggis! (Ugg! Well, not everything was so wonderful!)

Sometimes it’s great to sit down and sift through hundreds of old photographs and all the memories that come with them. Does it sound like an old guy talking? Yes, indeed, it does!

I’ve told you here before (several times) about one of the most wonderful blogs you’ll ever find on-line. It’s called Old Picture of the Day. I never miss it. It’s very creative, sometimes educational and informative and always fun. Lately I’ve come across a couple of wonderful old pictures I’m going to send to the blog along with a very short description of them.

*The spectacular Gleneagles Hotel was opened in 1924. It has been granted 5 red stars every year since 1985 by AA (Automobile Association of the UK). The 2014 Ryder Cup will be played there (on the PGA Centenary Course that opened in 1993). We played the King’s Course, designed by the extremely famous James Braid, on our visit there and we stayed in the grand, old hotel. Unforgettable!





_________________________

Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment