Friday, April 5, 2013

Two Thumbs Up!


The news came yesterday that Roger Ebert died at the age of 70 after a courageous and amazing battle with cancer. I was moved enough by the stuff I read about him that I had to make my feelings the subject of this blog.
by Charlie Leck

As a young man, I enjoyed watching Siskel & Ebert on television. Frankly, I tried to never miss them. I liked the way they reviewed movies and I took my cues from them on what to see.

Over the years, as I matured, grew older (both), I fell away from watching them and from keeping up on their careers -- and from going to lots of movies. Nevertheless, when the news broke yesterday that Roger Ebert had died, it had some impact on me. I felt saddened and hit the news links and read a great deal about Ebert’s career. I liked what I read. He was the kind of guy I’d like to salute – to commend for a life well and courageously lived.

If you’d like, you can read the Chicago Sun Times coverage of his death, written by reporter Neil Steinberg. Roger Ebert spent most of his working career with the Sun Times.

And, I like the following very much. It is taken from the closing of his personal memoirs. It will tell you quite everything about this good and generous man.

“‘Kindness’ covers all of my political beliefs. No need to spell them out. I believe that if, at the end, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn’t always know this and am happy I lived long enough to find it out.”

Thumbs up!



_________________________
Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment