Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fred Shuttlesworth


I was down at the Mayo Clinic, paying attention to my own aches and ailments, when I heard the word that Fred Shuttlesworth had died. I went silent for a time, thinking about his immense impact on the civil rights movement. And then I moved on!
by Charlie Leck

I met Fred Shuttlesworth in 1965. To him it would not have been a significant introduction or encounter. To me it was. In many ways he was a giant in the civil rights movement – perhaps as big as the King himself. In recent years he has been a strong advocate for the homeless. This man was a man for others and he lived a life of service and kindness.

You want to know more about Shuttlesworth? I’m not going to write it here. There’s too much in the newspapers these days and why should I be redundant? No paper does a better job of reporting on the deaths of the famous and significant than the New York Times. Here is the paper’s story about Shuttlesworth’s death and life. What a man he was!

So, in this blog, I bid him adieu and I will look for him tonight among the stars.

_________________________

Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment