Friday, December 16, 2011

Occupy Harvard


Again, what is the Occupy Movement all about? I know I’ve asked the question and attempted to answer it before, but now I’ve found some intellectual support for some of the things I’ve been saying.
by Charlie Leck

Here’s what it’s about…
The income distribution of the top one percent of people in America has gone up 250 or 300 percent since 1979 while everyone else, especially the bottom strata, has remained flat. The distribution of wealth — the amount people have in the bank or in investments – is even more alarming and shows the top one percent controls 33 percent of the accumulated wealth in the entire country.

I think it is incumbent upon educated people to understand this issue. We are being irresponsible if we do not pursue an understanding of the Occupy Movement and what they are protesting.

Now, here’s a place where you can go to hear and watch a number of college level lectures about these events and these economic problems. Professors from Harvard University, Boston College and New York University try to explain what the protestors are trying to demonstrate and what difference actually exists between the 99 percent and the 1 percent. There are eight lectures in the series and, I must admit, I have listened (watched) each one of them. They run from a half hour to fifty minutes.

I was particularly taken by the lecture of Harvard Law School professor Christine Desan: “Booms and Busts: The Legal Dynamics of Modern Money.”

It is absolutely amazing what you can find on the internet and here is an example of the phenomenon.

_________________________

Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment