Thursday, May 26, 2011

By the Sea!


The sea can roar and pound and swish and splash, but it leaves us quiet and in wonder!
by Charlie Leck

I’m a member of Sojourners, a Christian organization that tempers all that bogus stuff that comes out of the Christian fundamentalist and far-right movement. If you’re looking for a reasonable, rational and intellectual way to get in touch with your spiritual side and express your Christian faith, Sojourners might make sense for you. A drop in visit to their web site certainly wouldn’t hurt.

About once a week I get interesting email from the organization and occasional emergency notices that alert me to disturbing national and/or international events – things to which I should be alert and about which I should, perhaps, take action. I also subscribe to their monthly magazine.

In today’s general email, as the voice of the day, came a simple quotation about which I’ve been thinking a lot this morning:

“Sit with God as you might with the ocean. You bring nothing to the ocean, yet it changes you.”
[Sean Caulfield, from The Experience of Praying]

This has given me something to think about this morning. Have you ever sat quietly by the ocean and watched it and listened to it? It’s amazing what the ocean does to one. It kind of empties one out, makes one feel at peace and refreshes one’s spirit. I like the analogy to prayer.

_________________________

Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment