Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Paul Simon sings Duncan


Well, a lot of you enjoyed the video on yesterday’s blog as much as I did and that makes me feel just great!
by Charlie Leck

Well, more than a dozen of you responded to yesterday’s blog by emails to me, asking about the lyrics of the Paul Simon song, Duncan. A quick google search would have brought them up for you, but, nice guy that I am, I publish them here for you. I’m glad so many of you liked the blog and had a good time with it. I’ve watched that video a dozen times now.

Couple in the next room

Bound to win a prize

They've been going at it all night long

Well, I'm trying to get some sleep

But these motel walls are cheap

Lincoln Duncan is my name

And here's my song, here's my song.

My father was a fisherman

My mama was the fisherman's friend

And I was born in the boredom

And the chowder

So when I reached my prime

I left my home in the Maritimes

Headed down the turnpike for

New England, sweet New England

Holes In my confidence

Holes In the knees of my jeans

I was left without a penny in my pocket

Oo-we I was about destituted

As a kid could be

And I wished I wore a ring

So I could hock it, I'd like to hock it.

A young girl in a parking lot

Was preaching to a crowd

Singing sacred songs and reading

From the Bible

Well, I told her I was lost

And she told me all about the Pentecost

And I seen that girl as the road

To my survival

Just later on the very same night

When I crept to her tent with a flashlight

And my long years of innocence ended

Well, she took me to the woods

Saying here comes something and it feels so good

And just like a dog I was befriended, I was befriended.

Oh, oh, what a night

Oh what a garden of delight

Even now that sweet memory lingers

I was playing my guitar

Lying underneath the stars

Just thanking the Lord

For my fingers,

For my fingers

If you want to hear Paul Simon sing Duncan as it was originally recorded on his first solo album, take a look (listen) to this video…

_________________________

Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment