Sunday, January 22, 2012

Flailing Away at Death

I read something on an infrequent blog* yesterday and it stirred me somewhat and put me to thinking.
Charlie Leck

Plumb Bob wrote on his blog:

Death, you always call too soon, we are not ready, we have plans unfulfilled, the leaves of my life like a limb are stilling growing, the blossoms of my garden have not faded, the wild bees still fly here.
My fruit is not all fully yielded, but you come early, wait, another day, another hour, but your call is clear: “Come away with me my love, the world has had you too long, I want you with me.”

I like it, somehow! It is an easy read and it is intriguing. I left a comment for Plumb Bob:

As for me, I shall not be ready! Like a school assignment I cannot seem to find the time to do. I cannot prepare! I cannot find time for thee, o death… so you need to steal me away and I will go kicking, biting and fighting to the end.

I also reminded Plumb Bob of e.e. cummings' fine poem: “oh death, I wouldn’t like death if death were good.”

Dying is fine) but Death

?o
baby
i

wouldn’t like

Death if Death
were
good: for

when (instead of stopping to think) you

begin to feel of it, dying
’s miraculous
why? be

cause dying is

perfectly natural; perfectly
putting
it mildly lively (but)

Death

is strictly
scientific
& artificial &

evil & legal)

we thank thee
god
almighty for dying
(forgive us, o life!the sin of Death


I think the poet’s comparison of dying, which we’re all doing now, to death is remarkable. If you missed that, go back and read it again.

Plumb Bob doesn’t post very often (every month or two, I suppose), but if you want to look in on his blog click here.


*A blog to which posts are made quite infrequently and irregularly.
_________________________
Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment