Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Minnesota’s U.S. Senate Race



Wave it in my face on the morning after the election, but here’s my shocking prediction.
by Charlie Leck

The current polls (the reputable ones) have 3rd party candidate, Independent Party Dean Barkley, getting anywhere between 14 and 20 percent of the vote in the upcoming election.
I think Barkley will do better than the high range in those numbers and will come very close to the threshold that will get him elected. Barkley will be in the 30+ range. That + figure will be the key.

My prediction is that Minnesota will elect a U.S. Senator that does not garner even as much as 40 percent of the statewide vote. Whoever the victor, he will not go rushing to Washington with a mandate in his pocket. I sure wish Minnesota had an instant-run-off policy in its statewide elections. It makes such sense!

The question no one seems capable of answering is this: From whom does Barkley take the most votes? A few weeks ago I would have thought it was Coleman. Now I’m not too sure.This is one important election the polls haven’t got right.

In 2009, Dean Barkley may be caucusing with Joe Liebermann. I can’t imagine the Democrats will want the Senator from Connecticut defiling their caucus any longer. They’re not going to need him as they do now and they may just cut ties with this turncoat.

Not, of course, that I’m bitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment