Saturday, September 15, 2012

Jesse Ventura Speaks UP



Jesse Ventura and his wife, Terry, have announced their opposition to the Marriage Amendment that will appear on our ballots here in Minnesota this November.
by Charlie Leck

If it passes, the Marriage Amendment would redefine marriage in the Minnesota State Constitution as a union between only a man and a woman. If you’re a regular reader, you know I stand four-square against it. I’ll vote no!

Today, I received an email that announced former governor Jesse Ventura’s intention to vote against it also…

“Terry and I are proud to speak out today against this harmful and divisive constitutional amendment. Watch our new video here: 
This amendment just isn't the way we do things in Minnesota. We don't use our constitution to limit the rights and freedoms of our fellow citizens. We don't tell some families that they aren't good enough. We don't let government dictate love. 
“I know you and I may not agree on everything. But I'm certain that we can agree that every Minnesotan has dignity, and that none of us should be constitutionally deemed unworthy of marrying the person we love. 
“Defeating this amendment isn't a liberal or conservative issue - because the truth is that it impacts each and every one of us.
“We have a chance to decide what kind of state we want to be - and I plan to make sure that we're the kind of state that protects the freedom and dignity of every Minnesotan. 
“No matter what they say, love is by far bigger than government can ever be.”

Jesse signed off with the word “United.” It’s a reference, I expect, to Minnesotans United for All Families, the non-profit that is leading the political effort against the amendment. I urge you to go there and pledge to vote NO.

Our current governor, Mark Dayton, and former governor Arnie Carlson have also indicated their opposition to this amendment. The list of distinguished Minnesotans who oppose this constitutional amendment crosses all political party lines and has, in many ways, united so many of us.

_________________________
Why not become a follower?
If you read my blog regularly, why not become a follower? All you have to do is click in the upper right hand corner and establish a simple means of communication. Then you'll be informed every time a new blog is posted here. If all that's confusing, here's Google's explanation of how to do it! If you don’t want to post comments on the blog, but would like to communicate with me about it, send me an email if you’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment